Sunday, 4 February 2018

Using Blogger as a source of website content

For the last few years I have been webmaster for a local residents' association.

I put together a basic website using what I knew, which was html and shtml, and I created and maintained all the content (about 250 entries altogether) using that well known development tool Notepad.

Now it is time to hand the task over to others.

I realised a while ago that I had to find a better method of content editing, for speed, accuracy, and consistency, and also so that I could share the load with others with less technical skills.

Most of the entries are very short; a lot of them involve images; and many contain links to uploaded PDFs. Entries usually start off as 'highlights', linked to from the home page and notified to members via email and Twitter. Over time they lose their 'highlight' status; finally they are moved to the archive page.

I had a play with MODX, which we use for the i-Community website, but it's really far too complicated for the purpose (it's unnecessarily complicated for i-Community, really).

I had spent a bit of time in late 2017 learning some PHP (forced into it by the sudden demise of the Twitter feed mechanism on the i-Community home page) and a bit of Javascript (in order to implement an urgently needed non-Flash MP3 player for www.notamos.co.uk).

It occurred to me that I might solve the content editing problem via a Blogger blog like this one, pulling the content into the website via the RSS feed that is automatically provided for any Blogger blog.

Here's an example blog post (for a 'highlight'):
Here's its rendition on the website:









And here's the link on the home page:



The basics turned out to be pretty easy to do, using an open source tool called Feed2JS. This uses a second open source tool, Magpie, to read the RSS feed; the shipped version of Feed2JS, as the name suggests, then exposes the content via Javascript, with various formatting options.

I separated the content into the many necessary categories (News 'highlight', older News, News archive, Local Events, etc.) using Blogger's tags called Labels (each of which is available as an individual RSS feed), and automated the generation of the Feed2JS scripts (one per content category) via batch files.

So far so good.

The three remaining problems were: migrating all the existing content; implementing the 'highlight' links on the home page; and automating the 'last amended' date on each page.

Migration was a long and boring task. Eventually (and absolutely no thanks to Google's Blogger documentation or forum) I found some sensible import xml examples and succeeded in getting the content migrated, including an appropriate publication date for each entry, via a combination of manual editing, much changing of relative to absolute paths, SQL Server csv-xml conversion, Blogger import (not helped by some ridiculous daily import attempt limits), and manual application of Labels.

Here's an example (containing 2 entries) of the xml import.

The other two requirements turned out to be easiest to achieve by installing my own instance of Feed2JS. (I did have to put a redirect in place, effectively interpreting the Blogger site as a subfolder of the main website, as otherwise the website's PHP server was not prepared to access the RSS feed, for completely appropriate security reasons.)

I eventually used two much simplified copies of the Feed2JS code, with no Javascript; en route I took a considerable liking to PHP - a very friendly and easily learned language, it seems to me (I particularly admire the array handling).

The only remaining problem was the need to wait for Magpie's hour-long cache period to elapse before blog changes were reflected on the main website. In practice we just wait, although occasionally I do set the cache period to 1 minute temporarily (which has pretty awful effects on website performance, which is usually acceptable, if not as fast as the pre-blog version).

Finally I created a couple of little PHP utilities permitting the upload of PDFs and full size images to the website without FTP.

Anyway it's all had the required effect: editing is now much easier, and my colleagues are happy to share the load.

No comments:

Post a Comment